|The League of Ramona's Evil Exes|
The League of the Seven Deadly Evil Exes
Gideon Graves (Asshole)
To control Ramona's future love life.
Allies and associates:
They are the main antagonists in the series, and their one and only goal is to interfere and control Ramona's love life, making Scott a primary target. According to Ramona, Scott has to fight (and defeat) all seven Ex's to continue dating her. Whether from Ramona herself or the League, Scott learns of each Ex's past relationships with her.
The League was formed when Gideon Graves, after being left by Ramona, posted a drunken rant on Craigslist. The other six exes responded to the rant, and Gideon used this situation to take his "revenge" on Ramona.
The Evil ExesEdit
- Matthew Patel is Ramona's first evil ex-boyfriend. He is Indian and has mystical powers and can summon "Demon Hipster Chicks" at will. Scott gains $2.10 for defeating him in an epic battle at Club Rockit in which Matthew barely touches Scott.
- Lucas Lee is Ramona's second evil ex-boyfriend, a pro skateboarder turned movie star. Scott often mistakes him for Lucas Wilson. Scott tricks Lucas into doing a difficult and fatal grind trick on some icy rails. Scott gets $14 in coins and a Mithril Skateboard (that he can't use since he lacks a skateboarding proficiency) for defeating him.
- Todd Ingram is Ramona's third evil ex-boyfriend. He is a bass player for The Clash at Demonhead. He has special "Vegan-based" psychic powers (although he is secretly consuming non-vegan foods). Personality-wise, he is incredibly arrogant, narcissistic, and uncaring, as well as a liar. In addition to cheating on his vegan diet, he repeatedly cheats on Envy, his childhood love, with Lynette, the band's drummer. Scott gets some money (again in coins) plus an Extra Life when he defeats him with a powerful headbutt.
- Roxanne "Roxie" Richter is Ramona's fourth evil ex, an ex-girlfriend, and her former college roommate. She is a "half-ninja" and an accomplished fine artist, who taught Ramona much of what she knows in terms of her ninja abilities and subspace. Scott continuously wondered why Ramona kept correcting him that the term "Ex-Boyfriends" was actually "Exes" until he finally figures out that Ramona once had a "sexy phase" relationship with Roxy. Roxy has an inferiority complex over her "half-ninja" background, as well as her figure. She claims Scott is a "pussy" who refuses to fight his own battles, prompting Scott to finally mature in his relationship with Ramona, gaining a sword called the "Power of Love". When defeated by Scott, she explodes into a cascade of woodland creatures, a reference to Sonic the Hedgehog series.
- Kyle & Ken Katayanagi are Ramona's fifth and sixth evil ex-boyfriends, a pair of Japanese twins who often finish each others sentences. The pair are 'expert roboticists' who summon robots to fight Scott. They vowed to work together closely once the pair realized Ramona had been cheating on them with each other. After three separate attacks by robots fail to defeat Scott, the twins capture Kim Pine to lure Scott to them, pointing out in the meantime that Kim may still be in love with Scott. Scott defeats them and gets $79.95 for Ken, $74.95 for Kyle, and a $2 twins bonus (again all in coins) after defeating them as well as an Achievement for finishing them both at the same time.
- Gideon Gordon Graves is the leader of the League of Ramona's Evil Ex-Boyfriends and suggested to be Ramona's boyfriend previous to Scott, in New York City. He is mentioned several times throughout the series, but never seen fully until the end of Volume 3. He is the owner of "The Chaos Theatre" in NYC and "GGG Heavy Industries," which is opening "Chaos Theatre Toronto". Ramona has also "worked for" him previously, though her work is implied to be sexual in some way. He eventually makes contact with Scott in volume 5, simply to taunt him by asking when would be a convenient time to die. There is also a small cat living at Ramona's house by the same name. After defeating Gideon, Scott received $7,777,777 in coins which sprays all over the viewing audience in a painful manner.
Evil Ex NumerologyEdit
Each Evil Ex is surrounded by their number of appearance in the comics, the film and the game.
Matthew Patel: OneEdit
A former boyfriend from the seventh grade. Ramona Flowers and he dated for only a week and a half, during which Ramona pretty much used Matthew and his mystical powers to ward off flocks of jocks interested in her. She dated Matthew, according to her own story, because he was the only non-white and non-jock kid at her school. The two only kissed once, and it ended shortly after due to Matthew's pre-adolescent capriciousness. Afterward, Matthew turned evil during his high school years and by that time had moved far, far away. He also apparently took the break-up very badly, looking much more evil than most of the exes.
- His hair always covers one eye.
- Matthew's signature pose is him pointing with one finger.
- Unlike the other exes, he clearly and openly states his title as "Ramona's first Evil Ex Boyfriend".
- Wallace states that Matthew is "That one guy.".
- Matthew is the only non-white, non-jock kid in town when he dated Ramona.
- Ramona states that "[They] only kissed once."
- Matthew's demon hipster chicks have one star on their shirt.
- Matthew has two chevrons on the shoulder of his jacket. Traditionally, two chevrons is the insignia for the rank of private first class.
- Matthew is the only member of The League who introduces himself by name when he appears.
- He's the only one to attack Scott by song.
- The chevron on the shoulder of Matthew's jacket appears as a stylized number one at the angle he holds his arm while introducing himself.
- Matthew has one chevron (as opposed to the two he had in the books), representing his role as the first Evil Ex.
- Scott earns 1000 points after defeating Matthew Patel.
- Matthew warns Scott about the League once through e-mail, as opposed to twice in the book.
- Matthew has two special attacks, he uses each only once.
Ramona and Lucas Lee started dating during their freshman year in high school together. Around that time Lucas Lee was, according to Ramona, a "whiny little greasy-haired skater." Prior to the relationship Lucas followed Ramona around and constantly asked to go out with her. Eventually Ramona said okay and the two went out for a short while. Although Lucas Lee claims he was an important figure in Ramona's past, he lacks any real relevance in Ramona's life; According to Ramona, all they really did was sit together on a street curb and smoke. At some point in the relationship Ramona cheated on and left him for the "first cocky pretty boy".
- Ramona mentions that she was either in Math or Drama with Lucas. That's two possible classes.
- Lucas Lee has two wrist bands on each arm.
- Lucas also has an X over both of his back jean pockets (two Xs ).
- Scott mentions that he learned the bass line from Final Fantasy 2.( then plays the battle scene from Final Fantasy 4, a reference to the fact the game was renamed in the US when it was first released)
- The flight of stairs with the rails that Lucas grinds on contains 200 steps.
- Lucas mentions two other members of the League by name, Patel and Gideon.
- Lucas has the number 2 car.
- On their way to the set, Scott and Ramona passes through stairs with two X signs.
- The crosswalk light counts down from 2.
- Lucas' trailer has a number 2 on its door.
- In Lucas' Movie Trailer, He says on the phone that "Now listen close, and you listen hard, bucko. The next click you'll hear is me hanging up. The one after that... is me pulling the trigger." two clicks.
- On lucas' trailer two (1's) are upside down turn into 2 LL's (Lucas Lee).
- Lucas stated that "the only thing keeping [him] and [Ramona] apart are the two minutes its gonna take to kick [Scott's] ass."two times.
- Lucas cracks his neck two times during the universal theme.
- Lucas punched Scott two times after walking up to him.
- Lucas' manager sprays his knuckles two times.
- Briefly, while walking toward Scott to punch him, under Lucas' feet you can see a "2" on the street.
- Wallace tells Scott to ask the stunt doubles, "how it feels to always get his sloppy seconds."
- The car on the set has the number 2 on its sides.
- Lucas has a number 2 tattoo in his neck.
- Lucas points at Scott with two fingers.
- Lucas fights alongside his stunt doubles.
- Scott earns 2000 points after defeating Lucas Lee.
- Lucas pats his stunt double on the shoulders two times.
- Lucas' belt buckle has two Xs on it.
- Wallace taps Lucas on his shoulder twice when handing him his skateboard.
- The newspaper has two advertise pictures on the front & on the back of Lucas Lee.
- The Lucas Lee adverts on the side of the buses in World 1 have the number 2 on it.
- When Lucas summons skateboarders to help him two come at a time.
- He tries blowing Scott up two times.
- Two characters are present during the fight against Lucas.
- There are two pits of lava in the "Ruins" section.
- The entire level has two overstuffed suitcases.
- Edgar Wright, the same person who directed the movie, appears twice.
- There are 2 movie fights.
Todd Ingram: ThreeEdit
Todd knew Envy since they were eleven as they grew up together in Montreal. The two shared (in Envy's opinion) a deeply loving relationship until Todd's family moved away. Ramona dated Todd for the remainder of high school after she left Lucas Lee, saying they were the "bad kids" together. He vanished for two weeks while they dated, during which he went vegan and gained his telekinetic powers (having apparently been studied by scientists). Todd returned and took Ramona out of class to prove his love for her by blasting one of the two craters in the moon.(causing what Ramona described as "About 30 pages of explosions and tidal waves.") Todd ended up going to a vegan college while Ramona went to the The University of Carolina in the Sky, though, so the two decided to call it quits.
- Todd has had three known girlfriends.
- There are three members in Todd's band.
- Todd has a number 3 on his shirt. Said shirt also has 3 stripes on it.
- The Skull design on his other shirt has three teeth.
- Scott faces Todd three times (Backstage at Lee's Palace, Honest Ed's and Lee's Palace again).
- Todd tells Scott that he'll by swept up by the cleaning lady on Monday. Since the fight takes place on Friday, Monday is 3 days from then.
- Todd wears sweatbands with three strips in them.
- After he punches a hole in the moon, Ramona mentions that there were "30 pages of explosions and tidal waves".
- There are three characters on the back cover of the book.
- Todd is seen having an affair with Lynette three times.
- The first fight between Scott and Todd ends around 3:30.
- Ramona states that she changes her hair every 3 weeks.
- When Todd goes insane inside Honest Ed's, he has three flashbacks. Said flashbacks also feature three characters: His father, Gideon, and Lynette.
- After the Clash at Demonhead's show, Todd uses his vegan powers on Scott three times.
- There are 3 number 3 posters on the wall in the room where Todd and Envy spoke to Scott and his friends.
- When Todd threw Scott with his vegan telekinetic powers for the first time, the trash cans beside Scott has the number 3 written all over it.
- Scott and Todd both have 3 solos each in their Bass Battle.
- Scott only plays on 3 notes on the 1st and 2nd solo.
- After their Bass Battle, Todd made Scott fly through three walls.
- There are three leaves on the logo of the cup where Todd drank half and half.
- Todd had three strikes, when the Vegan Police take his powers.
- Scott earns 3000 points after defeating Todd Ingram.
- After the fight, Kim claims that a third of the band just went 'boom'.
- In the room where Todd is defeated, there is a lamp with 3 bulbs.
- During The Clash at Demonhead's performance of Black Sheep, Envy says "Oh Yeah!" 3 times.
- Todd describes Veganism as not eating three things (meat, breastmilk, ovum) from any creature with a face.
- During World 3, the Rex and Brad enemies are encountered three times before being defeated.
- Todd is encountered in three areas. (The stage, backstage, and the back alleyway)
- The stage where the player fights Envy and Lynette has three lights spots.
- From the start of the level to the stage, three Clash at Demonhead posters are seen. The area behind the stage (where the player is being chased by Todd) also has three posters.
- The "Clash at Demonhead" portraits contain three pictures of Todd.
- The door in the back alley has three hinges on it.
- The main area of the level has three electrical outlets.
- The bar has three large bulbs above it.
- "Leo's Place" is seen three times throughout the stage.
- The bar section has three beer dispensers.
Roxie Richter: FourEdit
Ramona's university roommate and the only ex-girlfriend. She explains that their relationship was just a phase she went through. After post-secondary, they broke up and hadn't seen or heard much from one another.
- Scott meets Roxie in four different places, on the street, The Happy Avocado, his dream and Ramona's house.
- On their first encounter, Roxie missed attacking Scott four times, until Scott managed to "punch her in the boob".
- Scott and Ramona have been dating for four months by the time this issue takes place.
- Lisa mentions that it's been about four years since she last saw Scott.
- The bar that Scott faces Roxy in is simply called 4.
- The spelling for Roxie is changed to Roxy, which has four letters.
- Roxy does not have the number 4 on her outfit, but there are four different rips in her leggings.
- Ramona strikes Roxy with her giant hammer 4 times.
- On their final battle, Roxy used the black smoke teleportation ability four times.
- Scott earns 4000 points after defeating Roxy.
- When Roxy uses her black smoke teleportation to get between Scott and Ramona, the phrase "Lazy Ass!" can be heard echoing four times before she says it herself before getting in between Scott and Ramona.
- When Ramona explains her relationship with Roxy, she states that she was "a little bi-curious." and Roxy proclaims that she's "a little bi-furious!" (Bi means two, so 2+2=4)
- You encounter her four times, three times on the tram and in Ramona's back garden.
- During the battle, Roxie will summon four clones of herself to attack.
- Ramona's back garden (the stage before you fight Roxie) has four lanterns.
- There are also four stone lamps in the same area.
- Ramona's back garden also contains four small rock formations.
- The middle of Sushi Bar area has four sushi grills, each with four stools.
- The last section of the Sushi Bar area has four wet spots.
- The last section also has four monk statues.
- At the end of the tram, the very back has four seats.
- On the top of the tram, you fight four ninjas.
Kyle & Ken Katayanagi: Five and SixEdit
Kyle & Ken Katayanagi's HistoryEdit
It is known that Ramona used to date both of them at the same time, but without each knowing about other (basically cheating on both of them). When the truth was revealed, the twins had sworn to always do everything together from that moment on. There seems to be no hostility between the two considering their former relationship with Ramona. They seem to place the blame solely on her.
- There are K's in both the twin's names. K is the 11th letter in the alphabet (5 + 6 = 11).
- There are five syllables in Katayanagi, (Ka-ta-ya-na-gi).
- Dragon is the symbol for the 5th zodiac sign.
- When Scott defeats the Twins, he gets $79.95 from Ken, and $74.95 from Kyle. there is a difference of 5 dollars between their prize money.
- By the time the issue takes place, Scott and Knives' breakup was 6 months ago.
- The Twins maximize their volume to the highest, which is 11 (5 + 6 = 11).
- The Katayanagi twins' dragons logo is in the form of both 5 and 6.
- The Twins have the numbers 5 & 6 on their cuffs, one is the character for the number, the other is represented with dots.
- Scott earns 5000 to 6000 points after defeating the Katayanagi twins.
- One the poster proclaiming the Band Battle between the Twins and Sex Bob-omb, the first line has 5 exclamation marks, and the second and third lines have 11. (5+6=11)
- During the start of the Katayanagi's song, Ken presses the Sixth white key from the bottom up on his keyboard, whilst Kyle presses the fifth black key from the bottom up on his keyboard.
- Kyle and Ken have six sunbeams on their shirts.
Gideon Graves: SevenEdit
Gideon first met Ramona at a party in New York and the two quickly formed a relationship. Despite Ramona's feelings for Gideon, Gideon saw his relationship with Ramona purely as an experiment, during which he inflicted Ramona with The Glow. Fed up of him constantly pushing her away, Ramona decided to leave Gideon, leaving nothing except a letter. Unfortunately for Ramona, Gideon walked in on her just as she finished the letter. Ramona, filled with intense emotions, became overwhelmed by The Glow and vanished into Subspace, taking the letter with her. After Ramona left, Gideon got totally wasted out of his mind and put up a huge drunken rant on Craigslist about her. This got the attention of Ramona's other six evil exes who contacted him, thus forming the League.
- If you rotate Gideon's Logo 120 degrees clockwise, the 3 stylized "G"s turn into 3 stylized "7"s.
- Gideon is 31 making him older than Ramona and Scott by 7 years.
- Gideon's first, middle and last name starts with a G. G is the 7th letter in the alphabet.
- Gideon has seven Ex-Girlfriends.
- When Scott enters Ramona's Subspace in Volume 6, seven pillars can be seen.
- Scott wins $7,777,777 (seven 7s) worth of coins for defeating Gideon.
- After Gideon stabs Scott, there are seven panels full of characters with horrified looks on their faces, not counting Gideon (who has a triumphant look on his face) in the middle of the panels.
- When Gideon and Scott first meet with Envy there are seven panels of them staring at each other before Scott runs away.
- Gideon steals The Power of Love from Scott, which has +2 guts, + 3 heart, + 1 smarts, and +1 will (3+2+1+1=7)
- When Gideon first appears before Scott and Envy, there are seven silhouettes of people around him.
- Stephen Stills complains that it costs seven dollars (Canadian currency) for the Coat Check to hold your coat.
- Two characters get kissed a total of seven times. (Scott gets kissed 6 times and Stephen Stills only gets kissed once)
- There are seven chapters in Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour.
- In a deleted scene, when Scott slammed down the phone in his 'secret lair', he earned 700 points.
- Gideon performed seven jutsu hand techniques to release his sword.
- The stats multipliers for Gideon's Pixel Katana is 7.
- Gideon had seven life bars when Scott fought with him.
- When Scott approaches the Chaos Theatre, the caption states the theatre as Level 7 (It also has a 7 on the buildings top).
- Gideon swallowed his gum, which he mentioned will take seven years to digest.
- The crack that forms on the lens of Gideon's glasses is in the shape of a 7.
- On his way into the Chaos Theatre for the second time after beating up the guards, Scott earns 350 points from each of the two guys he pushes out of his way (a total of 700 points).
- Each of Gideons's hipsters award Scott 700 points upon their defeat.
- Every hit on Gideon is worth 700 points.
- Scott earns $7,000,000,000 dollars worth of coins after defeating Gideon.
- There are seven people present when Scott defeated Gideon (Scott, Ramona, Negascott, Young Neil, Stephen Stills, Kim and Knives).
- Scott earns 7000 points after knocking down Gideon.
- When Gideon's guards first appear to attack Scott, 7 guards can be seen.
- When Scott reenters the Chaos Theatre, he defeats the first guard (by telling him his hair is stupid) and gains 700 points. He then beats up the two guards in charge to the elevator and gains 700 points from each guard.
- There is a total of 7 words exchanged between Scott and the guards at the beginning of the level. (Password, Whatever. Cool. Second Password. [Sighs]. Cool.)
Scott Pilgrim: ZeroEdit
While not an Evil Ex himself, Scott is shown to have the potential to become one, with Ramona outright stating at one point in Volume 5 that he's "just another evil ex waiting to happen." In Volume 6, Gideon even asks Scott to join the League (which Scott refuses). To represent this, Scott is sometimes associated with the number zero.
- Scott wears a Zero t-shirt from the Smashing Pumpkins album in Volume 3.
- Scott's patch on his parka, as well as being a X-Men reference, is an X with a circle (or zero) around it.
- Scott's favorite drink is Coke Zero.
- During the course of the film, Scott removes the X patch on his parka.
- As Gideon is dying, he chides Scott, telling him he's zero and nothing.
- Despite being evil, the League does seem to abide by certain unwritten rules, namely that they can't gang up on Scott all at once. Instead, each member must challenge Scott in the order they dated Ramona, however, Kyle and Ken Katayanagi violate this rule by fighting Scott side-by-side (though they justify this by pointing out that Ramona cheated on them at the same time). Roxie also violates this rule in the film when she tries to attack Scott before his encounter with Todd Ingram. The League (with the exception of Gideon) also tries not to inflict any physical harm on Ramona herself - as she is the reason they exist in the first place.
- In the trailers for the movie, when the faces of all the Evil Exes are shown, Lucas Lee's face is at the center space instead of Gideon.
- Though they all appear to die and disintegrate into coins after they are defeated, they don't at all die. They just simply respawn back to their homes, having learned their lesson. They also wouldn't consider a vendetta on Scott anymore since they would find it boring and not worth the effort anymore (and travelling from the US to Canada would cost a lot. They all live in the US.) Details here and here .