Scott Pilgrim vs. The Animation is an animated short based on Bryan Lee O'Malley's "Scott Pilgrim" franchise. At "around midnight" on August 12, 2010, during their "[adult swim]" programming block, Cartoon Network premiered Scott Pilgrim vs. the Animation in segments during commercial breaks. The animation is an adaptation of the first chapter in Book 2.
In conjunction with Universal's release of "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World," Titmouse, Inc (Producers of Metalacolypse) has animated the series of shorts for [adult swim]. They are voiced by movie cast members, and will elaborate on the Scott Pilgrim – Kim Pine "secret" origin.
Scenes from Bryan Lee O'Malley's graphic novels are also used, and Mae Whitman, who plays Roxie Richter in the Scott Pilgrim film, was called on to voice Scott's could-have-been high school flame Lisa Miller in the short. The animation notes that Lisa does not appear in the movie (although she was mentioned).
The song played throughout the short is "Post Acid" by Wavves.
Two clips from the shorts have debuted so far, one that shows Scott and Lisa's first meeting, and another that is a commercial for the animated special. The narrator from the commercial spot states: "Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World' is almost in theaters. If you don't already love it, you will. [adult swim] wants to marry it, so we made this animated short straight from the comic and put it on TV. This Thursday night around midnight, watch it. Then, see Scott Pilgrim vs. the World in stunning live-action August 13th, only in theaters. Win/win!"
On The WebEdit
- Scott's car has the license plate "PLM 7R3", which is Leet Speak for Plumtree, an all girl Canadian indie band that sung Scott Pilgrim, the main character's namesake.
- When Scott and Kim are sitting on the fence at night, you can see a hole in the moon.
- Scott's going over to and fighting at Benvie Tech to save Kim is a reference to the game River City Ransom. There are also several other references:
- The last boss of the game is also named Simon.
- "The Benvie Boy's Turf!!!" resembles the message that will appear when the player enters different areas controlled by different gangs in that game.